U.S. Intelligence Confirms Ukraine Was Not Behind Alleged Attack on Putin’s Residence | World | london-news-net.preview-domain.com

U.S. Intelligence Confirms Ukraine Was Not Behind Alleged Attack on Putin’s Residence

U.S. Intelligence Confirms Ukraine Was Not Behind Alleged Attack on Putin’s Residence

U.S. intelligence officials have determined that Ukraine was not responsible for an alleged attack on one of President Vladimir Putin’s residences earlier this week, as noted by The Wall Street Journal late Wednesday.

Russia asserts that Ukraine conducted a significant drone operation aimed at Putin’s Valdai residence located in the northwestern Novgorod region between Sunday night and Monday morning. However, Kyiv has rejected these claims, suggesting they are an effort to undermine U.S.-facilitated negotiations aimed at concluding the conflict.

A source within the U.S. government told WSJ that the CIA has concluded no attack actually occurred at Putin’s residence. The source indicated that Ukrainian troops were instead targeting a military site elsewhere in the Novgorod area, well away from Valdai.

According to WSJ, the CIA chose not to comment, and the White House did not offer an immediate response.

In response to the report, Russia’s Defense Ministry declared on Thursday that it had retrieved flight mission data from one of the drones shot down during the alleged attack on Valdai and intended to share this information with U.S. officials.

On Monday, U.S. President Donald Trump expressed his anger to reporters after Putin informed him of the purported Ukrainian attempt to strike his residence.

However, just before WSJ’s report was released, Trump downplayed Russia’s allegations by sharing an editorial from the New York Post on Truth Social, entitled “Putin ‘Attack’ Bluster Shows Russia Is the One Standing in the Way of Peace.”

The editorial contends that Russia is hindering peace efforts and posits that any attack against Putin would be “more than justified” in light of alleged Russian assassination attempts on Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky.

On Wednesday, the Russian Defense Ministry provided its first comprehensive account of the supposed attack on Putin’s Valdai residence, revealing a map that purportedly illustrated the flight paths of over 90 Ukrainian drones, along with video evidence of what they claimed was a downed drone.

The Defense Ministry stated that more than half of the drones were destroyed hundreds of kilometers away from Valdai, in areas near the Ukrainian border that are often targeted by Ukrainian forces. However, they did not explain how they concluded that those drones were headed for Valdai.

Moscow has indicated that it will reassess its negotiation stance in peace talks following the alleged incident, raising suspicions that the event might have been fabricated, possibly to hinder U.S.-led efforts to resolve the conflict at a time when both Trump and Zelensky have indicated that progress was being made.

Related posts

Modis Absence at Moscows Victory Day Parade Highlights Rising India-Pakistan Tensions

Russia Blacklists Human Rights Watch as ‘Undesirable’ Текст: Russia’s Justice Ministry on FridaydesignatedHuman Rights Watch as an “undesirable” organization. The designation bans the U.S.-headquartered nonprofit from operating in Russia. Under Russian law, individuals found to be affiliated with “undesirable” organizations face up to four years in prison, while organization leaders risk up to six years. In an interview, the influential body said it was not surprised by the designation and vowed to continue its work remotely. We are actually going to work even harder to expose the staggering crackdown by the Kremlin on Russian civil society and to report on Russian crimes in Ukraine, Tanya Lokshina, senior associate director of the groups Europe and Central Asia division, told AFP. HRW was among a number of international organizations and foreign NGOs whose local offices Russian authoritiesshut downin the first months of the full-scale invasion of Ukraine over alleged legal violations. Russia’s Prosecutor General’s Office, which usually announces “undesirable” designations, has not issued any statement on HRW’s blacklisting. Founded in 1978 and with a presence in more than 90 countries, HRW has documented human rights violations in Russia for around 30 years. It hasaccusedthe Russian military of committing war crimes in Ukraine. Russia introduced its “undesirable” law in 2015, using it to crack down on independent media, opposition groups and foreign organizations. Hundreds of organizations are currently blacklisted, including The Moscow Times. AFP contributed reporting.

rimmaruslan98@gmail.com

Trump Warns Putin of Dangerous Game Amid Escalating Tensions Over Ukraine


This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More