Bank of Georgia Enforces Luxury Purchase Limit for Russian Cardholders Amid Ongoing Sanctions | World | london-news-net.preview-domain.com

Bank of Georgia Enforces Luxury Purchase Limit for Russian Cardholders Amid Ongoing Sanctions

Bank of Georgia Enforces Luxury Purchase Limit for Russian Cardholders Amid Ongoing Sanctions

The Bank of Georgia has imposed limitations on Russian cardholders, preventing them from purchasing luxury items priced above 300 euros, as reported by Russian and Georgian media on Thursday.

A representative from the Bank of Georgia informed the RBC business outlet that transactions via Visa and Mastercard exceeding $300, 300 euros, or 300 British pounds are now restricted at select luxury retailers overseas.

In March 2022, the European Union enacted a ban on the export of luxury goods valued over 300 euros to Russia, later expanding this ban in December 2023 to all high-end products, no matter their origin. Similarly, the United States introduced sanctions in 2022 that focused on specific categories of products rather than imposing a monetary limit.

“The Bank of Georgia is complying with and adhering to the sanction regulations set forth by the United States, the European Union, and the United Kingdom,” the bank stated to the Georgian news outlet Tabula.

RBC noted that this action by the Bank of Georgia represents the first known case of a financial institution actively limiting luxury purchases by Russians in compliance with these sanctions. It remains uncertain how many customers will be impacted by this policy.

Previously, Russian customers faced occasional payment difficulties at luxury shops in cities such as Rome, Nice, and Dubai, according to RBC.

The Bank of Georgia did not respond to The Moscow Times’ inquiries for further information. It is unclear why the bank decided to implement these restrictions over three years after the introduction of Western sanctions.

Numerous Russians moved to Georgia following the onset of the full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022, driven by concerns over potential military conscription, political repression, and economic uncertainty.

Related posts

Russia Shifts to Constant Military Conscription in Response to Wartime Demands

rimmaruslan98@gmail.com

Black Sea Tanker That Sustained Blast Hit Again Текст: Turkeys Transport Ministry said one of two empty oil tankers hit by blasts in the Black Sea late Friday had been struck again early on Saturday, blaming an unmanned sea vehicle. The Virat, which was previously said to have been attacked by unmanned maritime vehicles approximately 35 nautical miles off the Black Sea coastline, was attacked again by unmanned maritime vehicles early this morning, the ministry said on X. It said the tanker sustained only minor damage on the starboard side and that none of the 20-strong crew were hurt. On Friday evening, Turkeys Transport Ministry said two empty oil tankers, the Virat and the Kairos, had reported explosions but sustained no casualties, saying they had been struck in Turkish waters but without saying what had caused the blasts. The ministrys post was the first official confirmation that the Virat was attacked by drones. Turkey said the Kairos was en route to the Black Sea port of Novorossiysk, where a major Russian oil terminal halted operations early on Saturday after being hit by a naval drone attack, the consortium that owns the terminal said. The terminal, part of which sustained significant damage, is a major conduit for Kazakh oil, the Caspian Pipeline Consortium (CPC) said, without saying who was responsible for the attack. A Ukrainian source later claimed responsibility for the attacks on two oil tankers. Modernized Sea Baby naval drones successfully targeted the vessels, a source in Ukraines SBU security service told AFP. The blast struck the Kairos around 15:00 GMT on Friday, with rescuers evacuating its 25 crew members after a fire broke out. At the time, it was about 100 kilometers east of the point where the Bosphorus Strait enters the Black Sea, Turkish officials said. The Virat was struck later. At the time, it was about 400 kilometers further east, according to the VesselFinder tracking site. Transport Minister Abdulkadir Uraloglu said both had suffered explosions, telling private NTV television late Friday the tankers might have been hit by a mine or struck by a rocket or a drone. An external impact means the vessel was hit by a mine, a rocket, or a similar projectile, or perhaps by a drone, or by an unmanned underwater vehicle. These are the first things that come to mind, he said. In a post on X, the Turkish Maritime Affairs Directorate said the Kairos was en route to Russias Novorossiysk when it reported an external impact causing a fire 28 nautical miles off the Turkish coast. It posted dramatic images of flames and thick black smoke pouring out of the vessel, with the blaze still raging some five hours later. BİLGİLENDİRME‼️Rusyaya seyir halindeyken Karadeniz açıklarında patlama ve yangın meydana gelen KAIROS isimli gemide devam eden yangına, NENE HATUN Acil Müdahale Gemimiz ve KURTARMA-12 Römorkörümüz ile@kiyiemniyet’e bağlı ekiplerimiz müdahale etmeye devam etmektedir.…pic.twitter.com/gx7iG5Rc5F The directorate later said the Virat had reported being hit approximately 35 nautical miles offshore, adding that all 20 crew were unharmed but there was heavy smoke detected in the engine room, although those on board had not requested evacuation. Both tankers — which are flying a Gambian flag, according to the VesselFinder website — are subject to Western sanctions for transporting oil from Russian ports in defiance of an embargo imposed after Russias 2022 invasion of Ukraine. Since Russia invaded Ukraine, both sides have planted sea mines to protect their coastlines. Many have since been located and destroyed in the Black Sea, but others have drifted, notably due to storms, endangering shipping. In response, NATO members Turkey, Bulgaria, and Romania — all of whom border the Black Sea — set up the Mine Countermeasures Naval Group (MCM Black Sea) in 2024 to oversee de-mining operations.

rimmaruslan98@gmail.com

Sakhalin Faces Major Power Outage as Engineers Work Against the Clock to Restore Electricity

rimmaruslan98@gmail.com

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More