Ex-Deputy Defense Minister Pavel Popov Transferred to Hospital Amid Health Concerns | World | london-news-net.preview-domain.com

Ex-Deputy Defense Minister Pavel Popov Transferred to Hospital Amid Health Concerns

Ex-Deputy Defense Minister Pavel Popov Transferred to Hospital Amid Health Concerns

Pavel Popov, a former Deputy Defense Minister of Russia, has been transferred from pre-trial detention to a civilian hospital for potential surgery, as reported by state news agencies on Thursday.

The 68-year-old was arrested last summer on charges of fraud amid a broader anti-corruption initiative within the Defense Ministry. He allegedly compelled contractors working on a military-themed amusement park near Moscow to perform unpaid construction work at his personal residence.

Popov has denied any wrongdoing, with the charges he faces carrying a possible sentence of up to 10 years in prison.

His attorney, Denis Sagach, informed the state-run RIA Novosti news agency that Popov was urgently moved from the Lefortovo detention facility to the hospital on Sunday.

“Popov suffers from several chronic health conditions, one of which has recently worsened,” Sagach stated, noting that doctors are considering surgical options but have postponed any decisions until after the extended Victory Day celebrations in Russia.

Reportedly, Popov is dealing with obesity, hypertension, heart problems, and elevated blood sugar levels.

He held the position of deputy defense minister from November 2013 until June 2024.

Related posts

Witkoff and Putin Will Meet Tuesday Afternoon to Discuss U.S. Peace Plan Текст: President Vladimir Putin will meet with U.S. special envoy Steve Witkoff in Moscow on Tuesday afternoon to discuss the Trump administration’s latest proposal to end the war in Ukraine, the Kremlin said. “The meeting with Witkoff is planned for tomorrow,” Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters in a briefing on Monday, adding that it will take place “in the second half of the day.” Witkoff, abillionaire developer-turned-special envoy,is expected to arrive in Moscow with Jared Kushner, U.S. President Donald Trump’s son-in-law,to discuss a peace framework that U.S. and Ukrainian officials drafted last weekend in Geneva, Switzerland. The Kremlin did not mention Kushner in its statement on Monday. It will be Witkoff’ssixth visit to Russia since January. The draft peace plan emerged amid a renewed burst of diplomacy that kicked off after an original 28-point peace proposal was leaked in the press last month. That initial set of proposals was writtenby the Trump administration and, reportedly, Kremlin officials. The original framework has since been pared down to roughly 20 points, and U.S. officials have hinted that Ukraine agreed to the revised version. However, it remains unclear whether Putin will back the changes, which sources say are “significantly better” for Ukraine than the original list of provisions, widely seen as closer to Russia’s position. Putin said last week thathe may be open to some elements of the U.S. plan to end the war, but he also issueda defiant warning that Russian forces would continue their advance in the Donbas region if Kyiv refuses to accept his conditions for a ceasefire.

rimmaruslan98@gmail.com

Russian Schoolchildren Form Human 89 to Commemorate Controversial Annexation of Ukrainian Territories

Russian Airstrike Claims Lives of Humanitarian Deminers in Ukraines Chernihiv Region

rimmaruslan98@gmail.com

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More